Are You Prepared For a Car Accident?
Here in San Diego County car accidents are inevitable. The question is – are you prepared for one? It’s extremely important to be prepared if you are involved in any type of car accidents.
What if you are injured and need medical attention? Do you know the steps to take to contact the police to the accident scene?
Gathering information is also critical. Chances are you won’t be in the right frame of mind – or physically unable – to collect information concerning other parties involved in the car accident. You – and your personal injury lawyer – will need the facts concerning how the accident happened and when.
At a minimum, the information you gather should include:
- the identity, including name, address, telephone number, social security number or driver’s license information of all involved parties, operators or witnesses;
- the registration and motor vehicle license plate number of each vehicle involved, as well as descriptive information such as make, model and year of the vehicles;
- the automobile insurance carrier of each motor vehicle involved in the car accident (not the insurance agent);
- the date, time, weather conditions and location of the car accident, including reference to stop signs, traffic lights and intersections;
- a pictorial description of the accident scene with directions of travel of all involved vehicles is most helpful.
(If police officers are on scene, this information will most likely get collected for the official police report.)
Immediately after the accident, you or a family member must report what happened your automobile insurance carrier – usually within one business day!
More importantly, you must protect your rights after an injury accident. Contact a lawyer for an immediate consultation after your collision. No one should be penalized for an accident that was caused by the negligence of another driver. San Diego car accident lawyers, such as those here at the Law Offices of Steven A. Elia will work with you to ensure that your case is handled properly and with the utmost care.
Latest posts by Steven Elia (see all)
- Who Is at Fault in a Motorcycle Lane Splitting Accident in California? - February 28, 2016
- Oceanside – 12 Year-Old Boy Hit by Truck and Killed While Riding Bike - November 13, 2015
- San Diegan Stephen Michael Clift killed in bicycle accident - November 6, 2015