Nursing Home Neglect – Is Your Loved One a Victim?
Nursing home neglect is a tragic occurrence that impacts some San Diego nursing homes and facilities, and many more across the country. People who can no longer live on their own depend on nursing homes to provide them with comfort, care, and peace of mind. Unfortunately though, some nursing homes and assisted living facilities fail to live up to their obligation to patients. Abuse and/or neglect may set in at the hands of caregivers. That’s why it is so important for family members to keep a watchful eye on any signs of nursing home neglect or abuse.
When a nursing home has assumed the responsibility of providing care to a vulnerable senior and the nursing home fails to do so, then the senior could suffer a number of very serious health consequences. The senior also may be reluctant or physically unable to speak out about the abuse. Some seniors simply don’t want to appear as if they are “making trouble.” When they do this, however, the abuse and neglect becomes a re-occurring problem. As such, it is especially important for visiting family members to be on the lookout for signs of trouble.
Some potential signs of neglect that you should be aware of include:
- Pressure uclers or bedsores. When a senior is not turned and moved often enough and he or she is bedridden or sits or lays for long periods of time, these painful and unpleasant sores can arise.
- Malnutrition or dehydration.
- An untidy appearance or filth in the senior’s living conditions.
If you suspect your loved one is being neglected inside a nursing home, talk to the senior about it immediately. If the senior is unable to speak, notify the proper authorities and contact a San Diego Personal Injury Attorney for Nursing Home Neglect. The California Elder Abuse Hot Line also takes reports of nursing home abuse and neglect and can be reached at 1-888-436-3600.
An attorney is your best option for assistance in taking action in cases of nursing home neglect. If you or a loved one has been the victim of abuse in the greater San Diego area, contact Steven Elia for a consultation to discuss your claim – 619-444-2244.
Latest posts by Steven Elia (see all)
- Who Is at Fault in a Motorcycle Lane Splitting Accident in California? - February 28, 2016
- Oceanside – 12 Year-Old Boy Hit by Truck and Killed While Riding Bike - November 13, 2015
- San Diegan Stephen Michael Clift killed in bicycle accident - November 6, 2015