The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) recently recalled over 1 million light-up children’s eyeglasses and rings, according to the San Diego Union-Tribune. The toys, which were distributed by Chuck E. Cheese restaurants, were recalled because the small batteries inside may cause severe internal injuries if swallowed.
The small batteries, known as “button batteries” due to their shape and size, are causing more and more children to be admitted to the hospital for swallowing them. Although the CPSC has received few reports about severe injuries, ten children were admitted to a Utah hospital recently after swallowing the batteries, and one of the children suffered severe digestive-tract damage.
The batteries are small enough that most children do not choke on them. However, if the battery gets caught in the child’s throat, it may cause a chemical reaction with the body’s tissues that can cause severe burns. An Ohio child died in 2009 when a battery burned through his esophagus and burst a major blood vessel in his chest.
The CPSC recommends checking children’s toys for batteries and keeping those toys away from young children. Button batteries can also be found in watches, remote controls, cell phones, and light-up shoes.
No parent wants their child to play with an unsafe toy. If your child has been injured by a toy, particularly one that was later recalled, please contact an experienced San Diego product liability lawyer. Attorney Steven A. Elia will fight to protect your legal rights and hold negligent parties accountable for their actions. Call the Elia Law Firm today at 619-444-2244 for a free consultation.
- Breakthrough Spinal Cord Injury Research at UC San Diego - August 26, 2021
- What to Do After a San Diego Bicycle Accident - March 4, 2020
- Who Is at Fault in a Motorcycle Lane Splitting Accident in California? - February 28, 2016