Bounce House Dangers
Renting bounce houses for children’s parties in San Diego has become all the rage in recent years, but unfortunately a recent study suggests the play houses pose a significant danger to children.
As a leading San Diego personal injury lawyer, I want to draw your attention to the findings of the nationwide bounce house study. Injuries can range from mild to severe in kids of all ages.
Here are some of the important findings:
- 30 kids each day are treated in U.S. emergency rooms for injuries caused by bounce house accidents.
- In 1995, only 1,000 kids ages 17 and under visited emergency rooms as a result of bounce house injuries. In 2010, nearly 11,000 kids (or 15 times more kids) were injured severely enough in a bounce house to go to the ER.
- The number of kids visiting emergency rooms with bounce house injuries has doubled since 2008.
- 3% of children who go to the emergency room require hospitalization for their bounce house injuries. Broken bones are the most common injury that leads to hospitalization.
- Approximately 1/3 of bounce house injuries affect kids ages 5 and under.
Injuries from bounce house play happen for many reason. Many occur when bouncing children collide inside the house, or a child may fall out of the structure. Injuries have also been reported as a result of bounce houses collapsing or bounce houses being lifted off the ground by high winds – which is particularly common in the foothills of San Diego.
Is it premises or product liability?
Responsibility for bounce house injuries may vary depending on the circumstances. In some cases, the company that rented the bounce house may be liable, especially if the bounce house collapsed. In other cases, the hosts of the party where the bounce house was located may be responsible.
If you or a loved one has been hurt during play inside a bounce house, it’s important that you contact a personal injury attorney to help you determine who is responsible and to collect compensation. We are experts in premises and product liability and can help you sort out the specifics of your case. We’ll find out who is to blame and hold them accountable.