Protecting Your Children from Dog Bites
As a parent, there’s no doubt you do everything in your power to keep your children safe. When taking into account that children are more at risk of being injured due to a dog bite or attack than adults, it is important to be aware of the dangers posed by dogs so that you can help prevent your child from being bitten.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) notes that children between the ages of 5 and 9 experience the highest rate of dog bite injuries. While it is the responsibility of a dog owner to ensure that their dog does not harm others, here are some safety tips to teach your child in the event that he or she encounters an aggressive or unrestrained dog:
- Never go up to a dog that you don’t know and even when you are familiar with the dog, be cautious and approach the dog slowly
- Never run away from a dog or make load noises (screaming, yelling, etc.)
- Roll into a ball or lie motionless if you fall to the ground because of being hit by a dog
- Never play with a dog unless an adult is present
- If you see a stray dog or a dog that is acting unusually, tell an adult right away
- Never try to pet or play with a dog that is eating, caring for puppies, or sleeping
- Do not make direct eye contact with a dog
- Never pet a dog before you have let it see and sniff you
- If a dog bites you, immediately tell an adult
Even though California Civil Code 3342 holds a dog owner liable for damages suffered by any individual who is bitten by the dog, obtaining compensation for a San Diego dog bite accident may not always be that simple.
If you or your child has been bitten by a dog, an experienced San Diego dog bite lawyer can help ensure that your rights are protected and that you obtain compensation for medical treatment, surgery, and other expenses. In order for you to obtain restitution, it is not required for a dog to have a history of viciousness, nor does the owner need to have known about such behavior. Contact skilled San Diego personal injury attorney Steven Elia for a free consultation of your dog bite case. Call 619-444-2244 today.
Latest posts by Steven Elia (see all)
- Who Is at Fault in a Motorcycle Lane Splitting Accident in California? - February 28, 2016
- Oceanside – 12 Year-Old Boy Hit by Truck and Killed While Riding Bike - November 13, 2015
- San Diegan Stephen Michael Clift killed in bicycle accident - November 6, 2015
Trackback from your site.